Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Offend Me!

Shew and I have still not had a real fight, but we came damn close the other night. If it weren't for a freak chance things would have turned out very different.

It just so happens that a diner serves up more than just food. You can get a pipping hot argument before even walking through the door. Last Friday, Shew and I headed to Metro because a night out in Brooklyn was due. We were only a few blocks away from my apartment when he told me he didn't want to go to the diner after the bar. The best part of going out is the delicious diner food at the end... at least for me. It's tradition! This irritated me because the last time we went out I gave up going to the diner because Shew didn't want to.

My suggestion was that we alternate weekends between going out with each other and our friends. Shew has a more upscale group of friends that would likely have more fun at a wine tasting. My friends tend to like ghetto things such as THE DINER! This struck a chord with Shew and the rest of the walk to the train was silent. A new policy went into practice when I started dating Shew. I just let go of things that piss me off. Maybe it's a lot to expect the same in return. On the train platform Shew said he just needed a minute, but I honestly contemplated going home right then and there. I knew he wasn't going to drop it and I'm sick, sick, sick of arguing almost every time we go out. It's insane.

Things were mellowing as we sat down to drinks when Shew sent a text to me by mistake. "Ryan just royally offended me." When I flipped my phone at him the look was priceless. He didn't want to talk about it, but now I was off and running with the angry. The music was loud but my voice came across loud and clear. For the first time Shew experienced the angry person I can be. I told him to get over himself, and when he told me it offended him I was honest and said I didn't care.

Honestly, I think it's bullshit. My suggestion for alternating weekends between friends and each other wasn't an effort to be apart more. It was an effort to compromise so we could both do what we want without having to do something unwanted. At that very moment Candy Mountain walked up and said hi. Immediately the retail face and personality came out. I try my best not to show my anger in front of friends and strangers whenever possible. This slowly defused the situation up until about an hour later when I wanted to go home.

Things are fine again, but I am questioning where things are going. I don't want to be in television relationship where there's a new drama happening every week. It's too much work, and so exhausting.

No comments:

Post a Comment