Sunday, October 28, 2012

Wine, Whine and Music

There's a weekend of drinks and fun to share, but first it is necessary to get the whine out of the way. Where along the way it happened is impossible to know, but it is now clear that my friends and I are outside the protective bubble of twenty-something life. At this crossroad we are either damaging others, ourselves or both. This comes to mind after talking to a friend that's having an affair. Personally, it doesn't bother me because people can make their own decisions. It does however feel like we've taken teenage traits and applied credit cards and hotel rooms to the mix. Just something that's been floating around my mind, but now for the more interesting stuff.

The Russian invited me along with a handful of others out to LI for a wine tasting tour. After a night out and three hours of sleep, dragging myself out of the bed was torture. The ironic part of this story is that the Animator had text me late Friday to remind me not to be late. Arriving right on time, it was a surprise with the Animator overslept and no-showed. My theory here is that he needed to get out of attending to use the wine cash for the cruise he's leaving on today...though that's speculation.

So, the five of us piled into a limo where we enjoyed Top Pop and vodka at 9:30 in the morning. One of the group is a Greek guy I believe, thus we will label him the Greek - clever I know. Now, I know that I'm not usually the most affectionate nor perceptive person when it comes to interacting with people, but the Greek seemed to be giving my ass a lot attention. The first pat was fine and a little flirty, but then they continued through two tastings. It wouldn't be worth mentioning, but like my friend mentioned above, the Greek had a boyfriend. Either I'm misinterpreting friendly touching, or as usual I'm producing my attraction pheromone: You have a boyfriend but would probably make a move if I gave you the go-ahead, but I don't want to be labeled a home wrecking hooker, even though it would really be you making a bad decision. The third tasting began and ended with breaking glasses, the first by mistake and the second on purpose like something from a Jewish wedding.

The two hour limo ride back to Astoria nearly killed me as I have the bladder of a twelve year old girl and happened to be pumped full of booze. Once relieved everyone abandoned the Russian and I as they all apparently have lives when it comes to Saturday night. They missed out, the most fun came out of the next few hours as we played, "you've got to hear this song." Bad 80's and 90's music pretty much do it for me, toss beer and pizza into the mix and it pretty much makes it a top ten night. With cell phone dead, head spinning and eyes drooping I passed out on the couch. Eventually the Russian awoke and offered up his bed. I'm appreciative that he didn't ask me to head home, not that he would, but guys have done stranger things.

Here I'll give you some let down as there was no funny business. It was just a night of fun and games that unexpectedly occurred without the usual pressure and stigma of a date or Grindr date. As a side note and an ending I can say that I did learn how influential Shew was in pushing people out of my life. It's amazing what you can learn about yourself from the point of view of another person.

No comments:

Post a Comment