Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Detox

The day in December that will mark one year of being single is nearly upon us. I don’t count the two flings I’ve had this year as actually dating. They were more like temps. This year has been all about getting rid of the bad.

I’ve been hanging out with Shew a lot lately, and the best part is he isn’t interested in labeling anything. It takes some of the pressure off, especially when it usually puts me into crazy mode. Though there have been a few moments when I notice the intense insanity bubbling in the pit of my stomach. Fortunately for me, it can be killed with several beers and making out.

It’s also good that Shew is more than happy to have me stay over. I recently told my roomie that I intend to move out when our lease is up. More to the point, I no longer wish to reside with her. I don’t know if anyone noticed, but on my Facebook I had mentioned removing the last one-upper from my life. Well, my roomie is the biggest one-upper alive. Her response to my moving out, “I was already planning on doing that.” A lie. I know this because less than a month before she was telling B. Brown about us maybe getting a bigger place. A month before that she told me that she might be willing to take an extra hundred dollars of the rent so I would want to stay another year. So, I’ve been spending a lot of time at Shew’s apartment to get some space.

It’s not so much that I don’t want to be friends with my roomie anymore; it’s more that I can’t handle being around such a self-centered person. When my mom was visiting I was mortified when my roomie said, “I have so much money, I don’t know what to do with it.” I don’t discuss money. I also don’t try and let other people know if I make more than them. No one wants to hear that kind of stuff. I can’t figure out if it’s a low self-esteem issue, or some weird childhood thing. She’d be better to do like the rest of us and get some sort of drinking problem. On an up note, it appears she is giving me the silent treatment. No clue why, but I’m certainly enjoying it.

Things will soon be getting better. Shew is an expert apartment finder, B. Brown is moving to the City, and in March I will be free of this place.

1 comment: