Saturday, December 8, 2012

A Little to the Left

It's not often that I'm shocked by others. Now and then I do the shocking by the words the drop from my mouth. Two weeks ago, on what seemed like a regular Friday outing, the tables were turned.

While out I was told of this new bar, Hardware, on Tenth. A place you could easily walk by without noticing, but surprisingly nice inside. Our group meandered over to the bar where I found myself a chair and settled in. As we drank and chatted a guy stepped over and struck up a conversation. Though my friends say he was unattractive, I have to disagree, the nerdy look is appealing. Not a fan of the hipster flannel but that's easy enough to fix.

The conversation was good until my friends were ready to go. I generally try to not ditch my friends for a hook up, so I said my good bye, shared my number and headed out the door. After a short bar crawl I returned home, during this time continuing the conversation with bar guy via text. It may have been the beer in me, or a touch of slutism, but I invited bar guy over. Honestly, asking someone to travel from HK to the UES seems frivolous as the distance at that time of night is enough to make anyone say no.

To my surprise the guy jumped in a cab and showed up at my doorstep. I told him to make himself comfortable as I grabbed a beer from the fridge. I returned just as he was hanging up his coat. That was when it happened...how did I not notice this in the bar? Standing before me was a person missing his left arm. My face likely gave away the shock I was trying to suppress, but holy crap - he's missing an arm! I lasted about ten minutes before I asked if he was born without an arm, or if it had been torn off in some terrible accident. Sadly, Lefty, was born without an arm so there's no great story there. But he is a good sport as I was feeling pretty funny and asked him if he was left handed. If something like that doesn't make you walk out and i can get a laugh we're doing pretty well.

I'm still talking to Lefty and may hang out with him again, but I don't think I'd dare bring him out with my friends. I'm pretty cruel, but they'd eat him alive.

1 comment:

  1. If you're cruel, what that does make your friends? I must say this story made me laugh. I guess enough said about my character there ;-)
    Glad you're still talking to him though.

    ReplyDelete